Things are getting a little crazy around here. Time for another “Quickie Blog.”
The Beck Diet Solution – the first “diet” book I’ve ever read that really goes to the heart of what I struggle with, which is All In My Head. They have a swift and pithy response for the hundreds of “sabotaging thoughts” that derail someone wanting to lose weight. If anybody out there is reading/has read or wants to read this book and would like to buddy-up, let me know!
Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama – omg did this book make me cry. I can’t believe this person is our president. It resonated on so many levels I’m still all discombobulated.
Fieldwork: A Novel by Mischa Berlinski – my book group read this but I was a delinquent and did not read it. They loved it though.
Lark & Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips – I LOVE her work so much and was so excited to get this, but it has been a bit slow going. I hope I will be able to immerse better on my next plane trip.
brochure for Pact Camp, which has just opened for registration. YAY!
new column in the works
Annie Liebowitz: Life Through A Lens – I LOVED this documentary and actually watched it twice. It was incredibly moving, inspiring and brought back so many familiar and new images. Two thumbs up. Rent it on Netflix!
On TV: Top Chef, Biggest Loser, the Office, and LOST. My five hours of TV per week.
- lunch, and then dinner again the same night at Kaka’ aku Kitchen in Honolulu, Hawaii (yeah I was there). My great buddy Twice The Rice brought me there and introduced me to the most awesome spinach/fried calamari/bacon and sweet chili salad. Unbelievable! It was so good. I dragged the whole family back the same night.
- Moosewood Brazilian Black Bean soup – I’ve made this over and over and over again and we never get tired of it. It’s bean soup month at our house!
- Trip to our first timeshare condo in Hawaii. Not the most idyllic ever, but convenient and pretty fun. Did a really nice whale-dolphin-sea turtle-snorkeling trip. Also took kids to the very same waterfall pool where Kate and Sawyer found the submerged plane on LOST.
- Gave private blogging lessons to two good friends, and they have launched their blogs! It was so fun (and I realized I actually know some stuff about this) that I am considering teaching a Blogging 101 workshop sometime this spring.
- Preparing to go to AWP in Chicago and then driving up to visit my girl in Wisconsin! Yay!
- visited my cardiologist. Had an EKG and echocardiogram. He said my heart is “robust” and that “rumors of your imminent demise have been greatly exaggerated.” He’s a real peach. Next week, the endocrinologist. I’m on a merry go round of doctors lately. I also have the most irritating nighttime cough I have ever had. I have to sleep sitting up, or I end up coughing so hard that other bad and involuntary things happen. I really, really hope this goes away soon.
Overall, things are good but just a smidge too busy with all the traveling. I’ll settle down again after mid-February.